Buy copyright free artwork

Pentel – the Best Drawing Tools Ever

Friday, September 24, 2010

It seems that my dream of possessing high quality drawing tools has at last come true. I have received a parcel from Germany containing 3,5 kg (almost 8 pounds) of pens, markers and brushes from Pentel. Having opened the parcel, I was so much in awe that I stood motionless for a while contemplating this marvelous treasure I’ve being coveting for a long time since I first discovered Pentel drawing tools. In fact, Pentel art tools are the best I tried so far.


Pentel brush pens, markers, pastels, gel rollers and other drawing tools

I fell in love with Pentel when I first saw a Pentel pocket brush pen in the Internet. I worked for a web and graphic design company at that time and constantly faced the problem of being unable to easily create a good looking outline for sketches and drawings I made for the company. I used a regular ink pen and had to do a number of strokes to make a pressure sensitive effect for outlines. I thought it would be good to have a kind of a brush with a fine tip allowing me to draw with ink controlling pressure and thus to vary the line thickness as needed to create beautiful looking outlines. I started looking for such drawing tool and this is when I discovered a Pentel pocket brush pen.

Pentel Pocket Brush Pen is a pen with a refillable cartridge containing pigmented ink which feeds a fine brush tip which is the most awesome element of the pen as it allows varying the line thickness in a single stroke. I was very much frustrated to find out that it was almost impossible to buy Pentel products in Ukraine. It seems that Pentel Co. Ltd is not present in the Ukrainian market so far. I was lucky to have a good friend in Berlin, Germany, who was kind enough to purchase and send me my first Pentel brush pen. And I was absolutely amazed at how flexible I became in drawing after I had tried the brush pen. This drawing tool had even exceeded my expectations. All good qualities of the brush pen make it a must have drawing tool for various kinds of drawing “genres” and styles ranging from manga and comics drawing to picturesque landscape paintings.

Using Drawing Tools from Pentel (Video)




The first commercial drawings I created with my new Pentel brush pen were cute panda bears drawn for a teacher from the USA William Cunningham. I made a few videos showing how those drawings had been made and uploaded them on Youtube. This is one of those videos:

Drawing a Giant Panda with a Pentel Brush Pen


Pentel pocket brush pen drawing
This cute panda bear was drawn with a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen


And this is when my drawings were noticed by guys from PentelArts – an online Pentel store in Europe. They really liked how I used the brush pen in the video and suggested sending me some more brush pens (including color ones) to further experiment with them and experience in full how Pentel tools can simplify work of an artist and make his/her artworks look better and more expressive. Since then Pentel brush pens had become my indispensable drawing tools in almost every drawing I create (just watch videos on my Youtube channel to get convinced).

I had not dared to use color brush pens for some time as I had been waiting for a good drawing commission but I got mostly black & white portraits and illustrations orders. And since I was eager to use them I took those color brush pens with me on my vacation at the Sea of Azov to experiment a little with a marine scenery painting. Here are a couple of sketches I had made using color brush pens from Pentel:

Sketches Drawn with Color Brush Pen from Pentel


Pentel color brush pens sketch
A sketch drawn with color Pentel brush pens

sketch (color Pentel brush pens)

Extensive usage of Pentel pocket brush pens and mentioning it in my drawing videos has not left people from PentelArts untouched and I was asked whether I wanted some other drawing supplies from Pentel to experiment with as I used some analogues they had in their product range. And how could I resist such a generous offer if my love for Pentel had begun from the first brush pen? I agreed anticipating my new experience with one of the best drawing tools brand. But what they had sent totally surprised and amazed me! Color and black brush pens, brushes for aquarelle painting, sign pens, outline markers, oil pastels and pastels for drawing on fabric, gel rollers and other drawing tools are now at my disposal. I will definitely try them all and make my best to master drawing with each of these tools. I will make a lot of videos showing performances of pens and brushes from Pentel. And I want to say big THANK YOU to PentelArts for this wonderful gift and for inspiring me to create new artworks fitting the highest quality level of Pentel drawing tools.

Related posts:
The best tool to outline drawings
Panda tattoo
Pentel Pocket Brush Pen drawing videos
Wacom Inkling review

*****

4 comments:

Anonymous,  December 13, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

PLz plz tell me where you got this.....I need to buy a gift and this seems perfect.....can you give me the link and send it at chosenprime@gmail.com

Suncorp Internet Banking May 22, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

I really enjoyed this pen too, though I wasn't used to brushes so I never got used to it, and went back to the pen-like brush pens from Zebra, Kuretake and Faber Castell, all of which are good. But for brush lovers I think the Pentel is a great way to go.

Anonymous,  November 18, 2011 at 11:45 PM  

Thanks for posting this. I'm currently planning to make a one-shot comic, and one of my biggest problems is the type of pen I would use, since a lot of the recommended pen nibs are either too expensive or too out of reach for me. I seem to remember seeing one of these Pentel drawing pens at a local bookstore, and I may consider buying one after seeing your work.

Anonymous,  December 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

Love your work! I think these Pentel colour brush pens are fantastic - if there is one problem for me is that the colour are SO intense-- I end up putting it on and taking most of it off again.. but then I'm not a pro like yourself so maybe it's my lack of technique!!! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Articles by Me

Recent visitors

Hire me on oDesk

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk

  © Igor Lukyanov (Ukrainian artist and illustrator) 2009-2014

Back to TOP