Buy copyright free artwork

Drawing a Wolf and a Fox

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I’ve been experimenting with new drawing techniques and tools including those by Pentel and I came up with two drawings of wild animals – a wolf and a fox.

Wolf Drawing

I was supposed to draw a black and tan wolf for one of my clients and I decided to train myself in drawing this animal which I consider one of the most beautifully looking beasts on ink or pencil drawn pictures. I had been thinking about drawing a wolf for a long time before and I did not miss the opportunity to do it now. I preferred to kill two birds with one stone by drawing the animal I wished to draw so much and by experimenting with mixing ink and color pencils. I did not refuse to use my favorite cross-hatching drawing technique to make this wolf’s head drawing though. I have also made a video showing the wolf drawing process.

drawing a wolf
The wolf drawing is made with a pen and color pencils


Fox Drawing

The second animal was a fox, of course. A wolf and a fox are deemed as a natural couple here in Ukraine as they are very common Ukrainian and Russian folktales characters. They are portrayed as their children’s godfather (wolf) and godmother (fox). In folklore the fox is sly while the wolf is naïve and somewhat dull, that is the reason why they are friends and rivals at the same time. Russian and Ukrainian people imbibe those tales with their mothers’ milk, therefore it was unquestionable that if there was a wolf, there should be a fox somewhere around. Thus the next drawing was to be a fox.

The fox was drawn while experimenting with drawing supplies which had been kindly presented to me by PentelArts. The main tool used here was a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen which is my favorite drawing tool for creating expressive outlines and strokes. Using those tools, I had to alter my drawing technique and style a little, although the drawing was still comparatively minimalist with a lot of economy of lines. People who had already seen the drawing of the fox said the animal looked fresh, vibrant and alive. I am very much pleased with people’s positive responses to my experimental fox and wolf drawings and I am satisfied with the results of my drawing experiments.

drawing a fox
Art supplies from Pentel were used to make this fox drawing
Buy this royalty free artwork from 2CO
2CheckOut.com Inc. (Ohio, USA) is an authorized retailer for goods and services provided by Igor Lukyanov.

I have three little children (two boys and a girl). They are always looking forward to new animal drawings by their father. Every time I produce a good animal drawing I frame the image to give it to my kids who are waiting with anticipation for a new picture to be hung on the wall in their room. They already have a small animal drawings gallery.

animal drawings for children
Pictures of animals drawn by me on the wall of my children's room

By the way, if you love these drawings of a wolf and a fox, you can purchase high resolution images (digital files) from me to make high quality prints for any purposes. Just let me know if you want them.

Related posts:
My other animal drawings
Lion drawing

*****

6 comments:

Unknown October 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

You do beautiful work, Igor.

Anonymous,  October 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

Hey nice work steped by only random.
I have a question.. the pental brush pen ..do you know atrick to reload it without the high costing refillers ? would be realy nice ^^

Anonymous,  June 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM  

thats really good 10x better than me.

Unknown August 21, 2011 at 3:54 AM  

hi. Can I use your fox drawing on my blog ? www.theladyfox.blogspot.com. Pretty please : )

Igor Lukyanov August 21, 2011 at 6:51 AM  

@ the Lady Fox
Hi! You can use this drawing only if you put a link to my blog from yours.

Anonymous,  April 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM  

Fox a very good...
http://s001.radikal.ru/i195/1204/e3/cfc47fd817d2.jpg
It's my tatoo, thank you:)
love foxes))

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Articles by Me

Recent visitors

Hire me on oDesk

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk

  © Igor Lukyanov (Ukrainian artist and illustrator) 2009-2014

Back to TOP